Sage Rod Blanks are the heart and soul of the rod and make a perfect canvas. We provide you with the best in fly rod technology and all you have to do is dress it to match your unique style. All of our blanks are still proudly hand built and designed here on Bainbridge Island, WA.
Sage's R&D Department suggests that you keep the guide placement within a ¼ inch of the measurement that we provide in order to be consistent with the design and feel of factory-assembled Sage rods. Drastic changes to guide size and placement can affect the overall performance of the blank. Below are some tips that will help you assemble your rod to our specifications:
- The white dots on each section indicate the straightest axis of the blank; we recommend aligning each section, dot to dot then place the guides on the dotted line
- Assemble the blank and lay flat on a large table or floor with the tip top guide attached
- Measure from the top of the tip top wire down the length to the butt section and mark each measurement with a felt tip pen or marker
- Place the bottom foot, foot closest to butt, on the measurement for best placement accuracy
- The "t" at the end of a guide size stands for thin wire or light wire guide - examples: 1/0t or 1t
- Guide sizes are for double foot snake guides. For single foot guides, we recommend going up 2 sizes.
These are Sage's recommendations, but as a custom rod builder you, of course, have the ability to move the guides around as you choose.