THE LAST SAFARI
Author: Basie Maartens
Publisher: PALADIN PRESS, Apr 2009
The historic, turbulent, & at times dangerous career of this 5th-generation South African, generally regarded as the 1st licensed pro hunter in S. Africa. Like sitting around a campfire with Basie, trademark guitar in hand, as he recounts his life in old Africa. 200+ historic photos; 8.5x11 inches, 232 pgs.
The African safari is one of the grandest adventures in the world, and in southern Africa it all began with one man: Basie Maartens. The Last Safari tells of the historic, turbulent, and at times dangerous career of this fifth-generation South African, generally regarded as the first licensed professional hunter in southern Africa. Through evocative stories and hundreds of photos from Basie's personal collection, The Last Safari chronicles not only the life and times of one man but the many thrilling tales and colorful characters that made the southern swath of Africa the legendary hunting grounds they remain today. Reading The Last Safari is like sitting around a campfire with Basie, trademark guitar in hand, as he recounts his life in old Africa:
1. his early days exploring and hunting in South West Africa/Namibia, Angola, Botswana, and South Africa in the days before paying clients, hunting licenses, and, in many cases, roads
2. the start of his life as a PH, beginning in 1959 with the Elgin Gates safari and including as clients some of the biggest names in the history of big-game hunting, including Jay Mellon (author of African Hunter), Safari Club International founder C.J. McElroy, Prince Abdorreza of Iran, and dozens of others over a career that spanned five decades
3. the birth of the safari industry in southern Africa and the other early pioneers who were instrumental in his success throughout the region: Lionel Palmer, Kenny Kays, and Dougie Wright of Safari South Ltd.; Harry Selby of Ker, Downey, & Selby; and many other famous and lesser-known figures
4. the development of the hunting industry and the rise of the great organizations?Game Coin, IPHA, Safari Club International, Shikar Safari Club International, and others?as well as his thoughts on trophies and records, hunting ethics, and wildlife conservation
5. his epic adventures hunting elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard, zebra, sable, kudu, eland, gemsbok, springbok, wildebeest, and the various game birds of southern Africa
6. his second career running the world-famous Mountain Shadows lodge outside Paarl, South Africa, with his wife, Sandy, and children Lianne, Philip, and Craig
The Last Safari contains more than 200 historic photos taken on safari and at hunting industry functions, representing 50 years of people, places, and events. This welcome autobiography is sure to be one of the most significant books ever written on the romance and realities of safari hunting in Africa.