STOREY'S BASIC COUNTRY SKILLS: A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO SELF-RELIANCE
Author: John Storey
Publisher: WORKMAN PUBLISHING, Sep 1999
More than 150 of Storey's expert authors in gardening, building, animal raising, & homesteading share their specialized knowledge & experience in this ultimate guide to living a more independent, satisfying life. 11x8 inches, 576 pgs.
This is the book for anyone who wants to become more self-reliant, from suburbanites with 1/4 of an acre to country homesteaders with several. The information is easily understood and readily applicable.
Readers will find step-by-step, illustrated instructions for every aspect of country living including:
* Finding country land
* Buying, building, and renovating a home
* Developing water sources and systems
* Understanding wiring, plumbing, and heating
* Using alternative heating and energy sources
* Vegetable, flower, and herb gardening
* Traditional cooking skills such as baking bread and making maple syrup
* Preparing and preserving meat, fruits, and vegetables
* Building and maintaining barns, sheds, and outbuildings
* Caring for common farm and ranch animals, and pets