SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST
Author: Mike Venturino
Publisher: MLV Enterprises, Jun 2004
This tome will take you through the history, proper use, many models, & actual shooting (& how to's of reloading) of the many guns that saw service on the Frontier & are lovingly called "Buffalo Rifles" today.
Another work of art from the word processor of Mike "Iron Duke" Venturino! The man who (unlike Al Gore) actually helped invent "modern" Black Powder Cartridge shooting and competition. This book is destined to become a desired reference, as have the three before it! This tome will take you through the history, the proper use, the many models, and the actual shooting (and how to's of reloading) of the many guns that saw service on the Frontier and are lovingly called "Buffalo Rifles" today. If you love to shoot your Sharps, Ballards, Remingtons, or Springfield "Trapdoors" for hunting or competition, or simply love Old West history, your library WILL NOT be complete without this latest book from Mike Venturino!
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
* What constitutes a buffalo rifle?
* Understanding Buffalo Rifle cartridges
PART 1: THE RIFLES
* Trapdoor Springfields
* Winchester Single Shot
* The Rifle Reproductions
PART II: BASIC RELOADING
* Introduction to Buffalo Cartridge Reloading
* Basic Reloading for Buffalo Rifles
* A Paper Patch Bullet Demonstration
* Types of Guns: .40-70, Bottleneck & Straight; .40-90, .44-77, .44-90, .45-90, .45-100, .45-110, .50-70, .50-90.
* Modern Competitions for Buffalo Rifles
* Reloading Match-Grade Ammunition
* The Buffalo Hunters
* The Legend of Billy Dixon
* Modern Hunting with Buffalo Rifles
* Modern Bison Hunting
* The Buffalo Rifle in Combat
* Cleaning Chores