RETRIEVER TROUBLESHOOTING: ADVANCED RETRIEVER TRAINING & SOLUTIONS TO TRAINING PROBLEMS
Author: John & Amy Dahl
Publisher: WILLOW CREEK PRESS, Mar 2006
Nationally-recognized retriever trainers tackle advanced training methods & problem-solving using a dog's innate strengths to compensate for its weaknesses. 6x9 inches, 256 inches.
Nationally-recognized retriever trainers John & Amy Dahl (The 10-Minute Retriever) tackle advanced training methods & problem-solving using a dog's innate strengths to compensate for its weaknesses. They discuss how dogs learn at an advanced level while encouraging readers to tailor their training so the dog keeps progressing.
Training topics include:
* How advanced training applies to hunting and to competition
* Blind retrievers
* Achieving range & multiple blinds
* Hazards & formidable obstacles
* More disciplined lining
* The use of an e-collar in advanced field work
Problem-solving topics include:
* The challenges of training high-drive dogs
* Controlling excitement level & related problems (creeping, breaking, vocalizing, crushing birds, freezing)
* Mouth problems (too rough, eating birds, dropping birds, unwillingness to handle cripples)
* Pace issues (keeping training moving & the dog challenged)
* Problems related to pressure
* Lack of response at a distance
* Line manners
* Hunting problems (poor perseverance, unwillingness to enter cover).
The authors also discuss good general practices & individuality in training, along with specifiic real-life dog training stories that help readers see how the experts deal with unique problems.