ASSAULT RIFLE: THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE MODERN MILITARY RIFLE & ITS AMMUNITION
Author: Maxim Popenker & Anthony G. Williams
Publisher: MBI Publishing, Jun 2006
A comprehensive account of the development of the military assault rifle & its ammo from WW II to the present day. 250 B&W photos; 8x10 inches, 224 pgs.
Assault Rifle provides a comprehensive account of the development of the military assault rifle & its ammuniton from WW II to the present day. The book is in 2 parts.
THE FIRST PART:
* Brief historical summary of the assault rifle
* Its origins
* Gun design (including operating mechanisms & weapon configuration)
* Ammunition design
* Ballistics (Balance between recdoil & effectiveness)
* History of assault rife cartridge
* National miltiary rifle programs since the end of WW II
* History of developments in each country, including experimental programs
* Detailed descriptions of the principal service & experimental weapons
This new title covers the weapons of central importance to armed forces throughout the world. The Assault Rifle has proven to be an exceptionally effective weapon & "Assault Rifle" provides a comprehensive account of the development of this type of weapon as well as current up to date designs.
The book is divided into 3 sections, the first covers the weapons origins & early development. Gun design is then examined in detail. Ammunition design & performance is considered next as the key element in the characteristics of an Assault Rifle. Finally the book describes national military programs since the end of WWII; including general history of developments in each country, including experimental programs, before describing the principal Assault Rifles currently in service.
The book concludes with 2 appendices: an ammunition data table including rare cartridges & a comprehensive glossary. Plus the coverage of ammunition is especially detailed.